-->

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Define Quality...and Drop Down and Give Me Twenty!

Back in 1999, I was working on a manufacturing assembly line helping make semi-trailers for a company that was seeking to meet ISO 9002 requirements.
It was here where I first heard quality defined as “meeting or exceeding customer expectations”. With a pending shop floor review from ISO auditors, company supervisors instructed me and my co-workers to recite this phrase word for word when we were most assuredly going to be asked: What is quality?



At the time, I thought the whole thing was rather silly. But that’s probably because my company did a rather poor job of explaining the ISO process to its workers…and handled the quality definition recitation as if we were prisoners of war reciting just our name, rank and serial number.



I’ve come to learn that the ISO is an international quality accreditation organization that determines whether a company meets a standardized process which helps the company meet both its and the general public’s needs.



As for my company, it met the requirements. Within months after winning approval, we began producing trailers with ‘ISO 9002’ emblazoned across our company’s logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FIRST ROAR

It was sometime during the summer of 1964; I don't remember the exact date. The hometown St. Louis Cardinals were in the middle of one o...