-->

Friday, July 9, 2010

Before and After: The Power of Facebook?

I think there’s more than coincidence working here.

Last Monday (June 14th), severe thunderstorms producing high winds (some say tornadoes) and flash floods made an unwelcome visit to Vigo County and West-Central Indiana. As usual, the heavy rains left a nearby gravel road virtually impassable. It’s now five days later, and it appears the county has come out to make repairs. The following is a before and after shot of the area in question:


Now, this road, called Milliken Street, is along my daily bicycle-riding exercise route. “Wow!” I thought to myself. “The county is really on it”.

But, hold the phone… Milliken Street has been flooded many times. And never once did any trucks come out to pour gravel. Never once was the street leveled. Milliken’s puddles, no matter how deep, were always left to the goodwill chance of having at least a week of dry, sunny days to dry it up. And don’t forget, normally Milliken would still be a lake because it’s rained heavily nearly every day this week.

So what’s up? Well, the fact that I took pictures of the flooding and posted them on the Facebook page of the local television station (WTHI-TV, Channel 10) is, perhaps, the missing piece of the puzzle.

Channel 10’s local news is heavily viewed by the local powers-that-be, especially during weather events. They frequently broadcast Facebook mobile uploads on their newscasts. Now, I missed Channel 10’s newscast that night because the storm knocked out the neighborhood’s power. But, I’d say it’s a good bet that they broadcast my photos of the flooding.

Perhaps, my ego is getting the better of me. But I tend to think not. I think that it’s quite possible that my photos unintentionally made someone look bad, and provoked some long, overdue government action:


You gotta love it

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FIRST ROAR

It was sometime during the summer of 1964; I don't remember the exact date. The hometown St. Louis Cardinals were in the middle of one o...